Feud between Kisumu APs, regular police fuel crimes

Written By Michael Maunda on Thursday, August 9, 2012 | 12:46 AM

A cold war between police departments in Kisumu has been blamed for security lapse in the town. Sources in Kisumu yesterday told the Star that the bad blood between the Regular and Administration police officers dates back to May when some officers were involved in the theft of mattresses.

Nyanza PC Francis Mutie confirmed that officers from both departments were involved in the theft and a police Land Cruiser was used to transport the mattresses.

Administration police officers have accused a senior regular police officer of frustrating their efforts to fight insecurity. “This has demoralised the entire department,” said an AP officer.
“I have no information concerning such allegations and as far as I am concerned we are working well,” said Nyanza police boss Joseph ole Tito.

Nyanza AP commander, James Mwaniki, last month wrote a protest letter to provincial CID boss Joseph Mugwanja regarding what he termed as "arbitrary arrest of some AP officers in Kisumu East". The officers, he said, were arrested by the district CID boss and locked up for five hours. “Whereas this letter does not purport to circumvent the due process of law to seeking justice to complaints or any subsequent investigations against any police officer, Force Standing Order CAP 20 regulation 12 (a) outlines the deliberate procedure to follow on an errant officer committing criminal activity,” read the letter in part.

The letter was copied to former provincial police boss Njue Njagi, AP commandant Kinuthia Mbugua, commissioner of Police Mathew Iteere, area PC Francis Mutie and Kisumu East acting DC Willy Cheboi.

Yesterday, Kisumu City Residence Voice chairman Audi Ogada said he is aware of the feud. “Some AP officers have confirmed to me that they feel frustrated that their cases are not prosecuted since the powers lies with their regular counterparts,” said Ogada

He said the security lapse has also been caused by some officers staying in their work stations for more than five years. “The law requires them to work for a maximum of three years,” said Ogada.

Source: The Star